The FYS Department
- Dedicated faculty and staff committed to student success in introductory math and English courses.
- Located in S216 and S214 near the library.
- Involved in all aspects of the college community and are here to help you!
- English and math courses which prepare students for college level work, including national initiatives such as English ALP.
- Academic advising, coaching, and support for students in FYS courses as well as all General Studies students.
- First-year experience courses giving students essential skills necessary for success while creating individual academic and career plans.
- Free daily drop-in tutoring through the Center for Educational Services (CES).
- Embedded tutors in our MAT 085 courses.
- Training for embedded and drop-in tutors in the CES.
- Embedded study skills and advising in many of our courses.
- Academic workshops to support student learning (graphing calculator workshops, final exam reviews, etc)
- Intensive 3-week boot camps to boost students’ basic skills in reading, writing and math.
- Alternative Challenge Exams/Essays for students who wish to challenge their ACCUPLACER scores.
- Work closely with New Haven High Schools, New Haven Adult Ed, and other local districts, to prepare students for the transition to GCC.
FYS Faculty & Staff
Michelle Breaker – Department Chair
Marilyn Jacobi Rachael Wardin
Amanda Sweeney Teresa Cull
Elizabeth Keefe – Academic Coordinator
Kate Babbitt Eric Maroney
Keira Robilotto Rose-Mary Rodrigues
Coordinator of FYS Student Services
For more information on placement tests, tutoring, and boot camps click here!