The Financial Aid Mission Statement
The mission of the Financial Aid Office is to process applications for financial aid according to Fedral and State regulation in a fair and equitable manner. We strive to eliminate economic barriers to help ensure each student's successful matriculation at this institution in an effort to afford equal access to a postsecondary education.
Moreover, ever mindful of all ethnic and cultural diversities, we process with a sensitivity to and understanding of their personal and educational needs.
Gateway Community College has established a partnership with Inceptia, a nonprofit organization committed to offering effective and uncomplicated solutions to financial aid management and education, to expedite the federal verification process through use of the Verification Gateway online portal. If your FAFSA application is selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, you will receive an introductory email at the email address you provided on the FAFSA. If no email address was provided, you will receive an introductory postcard containing Gateway Community College’s unique website link to start the verification process. Please note that failure to provide the requested verification documents could result in the delay or denial of financial aid.
Getting Your IRS Transcript
If you require a copy of your Federal Tax Transcript and/or W2 forms online, please visit the IRS website at www.irs.gov.
- To obtain a copy by phone, contact the IRS at (844) 545-5640 and follow the voice prompt.
- To obtain a copy by mail, mail IRS form 4506-T (or form 4506-T-EZ) to, or request a copy in person at, 150 Court Street, New Haven, CT 06511. Forms are also available online at www.irs.gov.
Gateway Community College is transitioning into Connecticut State Community College beginning in the Fall 2023 semester. As we work through this process with the US Department of Education through the summer of 2023, the CT State federal school code will not be available when the 2023-2024 FAFSA becomes available on October 1, 2022.
If you are intending on applying for financial aid for the Fall 2023 semester and beyond, you must include both Gateway Community College’s federal school code of 008037 and Capital Community College’s federal school code of 007635 on your 2023-24 FAFSA. Connecticut State Community College will be using Capital Community College’s current federal school code of 007635 once the transition is complete, so this information is needed to process your financial aid application for the Fall 2023 semester and the 2023-2024 academic year. Please note that the US Department of Education will update the college name on the FAFSA in the summer of 2023. If you do not list both federal school codes on your 2023-24 FAFSA, we will be unable to process your financial aid application for your Fall 2023 semester and the 2023-2024 academic year.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact your local Financial Aid Office or visit https://www.ct.edu/admission/finaidguide for more details.
Applying for Financial Aid
Eligibility for financial aid does not carry over from one award year to the next. Students must reapply for financial aid each award year by completing a FAFSA. Once completed, applications will then be processed in the order they were received. While Gateway Community College accepts applications all year, you should complete yours as soon as possible to ensure priority consideration.
- Students should check their statuses by logging into myCommNet, and completing any outstanding requirements to finalizing their financial aid awards before registering for classes. Installment plan options are also available.
- Students should not register for classes unless they are ready to make payments at that time.
- Students should complete there FAFSA forms on the web at FAFSA® Application | Federal Student Aid.
- If a student does not already have an FSA ID, he/she can create one when logging into the FAFSA website and selecting the "Create an FSA ID" option. An FSA ID is needed to electronically sign the FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, your parent(s) or guardian(s) should also apply for an FSA ID so he/she/they can electronically sign the FAFSA.
- Students will need access to their federal tax information and/or W2 form(s) to complete the FAFSA. Parents or guardians of dependent students will also need access to their federal tax information and/or W2 form(s) to complete the FAFSA.
Assistance regarding the financial aid process is available:
- Students can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243.
- Students can visit Gateway Community College's Financial Aid Office directly, call (203) 285-2030, or email .
- Students can speak with Gateway Community College’s CONNTAC representative, Bryce McKinzie, by calling (203) 285-2216, or emailing .
- CONNTAC is an independent organization, partnered with Gateway Community College, that promotes and expands equal educational access and opportunity for Connecticut residents. CONNTAC advocates issue and provide support services for residents from low-income, first-generation educational backgrounds to give them reasonable, realistic opportunities to succeed and be empowered socially and economically.
- Students can visit ECMC Learning Home to learn more about financial literacy, wellness, and responsibility.
- ECMC is a nonprofit corporation focused on helping students succeed. ECMC and its family of companies provide financial tools and services, nonprofit career education, and funding for innovative programs to help students achieve their academic and professional goals.