Skip to main content

Travel Procedures

Documents Required Prior to Travel

All employees who travel on officially-sanctioned college business must submit an approved travel package to the Business Office prior to traveling. This package should include the following documents:

1. Travel Authorization Request Form (TA) (CO-112)

Your travel package must include a TA form if any of the following apply:

  • Out-of-state travel, regardless of cost
  • Registration fees of $25 or more for travel within the state
  • Blanket requests for employees traveling on a continuous basis as part of their duties
  • Reimbursement of expenses relating to tuition and or retraining.

This form serves to summarize the entire travel package and provides an estimated detailed breakdown of anticipated travel related costs. It must be signed by the employee and approved by his or her supervisor prior to submission to the Business Office. The Travel Reimbursement Chart provided by the Business Office shows guidelines for allowable costs within specific categories.

This form is also used to request permits for parking at Bradley International Airport for approved college business. Complete Item 13 on the TA to request a parking permit. Upon approval, the parking permit can be picked up at the Business Office one week prior to travel.

2. Approved Purchase Requisitions

Approved purchase requisitions totaling the amount of travel related expenses to be charged to the college must be included with your travel package. You should provide one requisition for each payee. Examples of payees might include:

  • Sanditz Business Travel Services: Airflight
  • XYZ Seminar: Registration fees
  • Joe Employee: Reimbursable costs, e.g., mileage, meals, etc.

3. Proof of Automobile Insurance

All state employees who are authorized by their agency head to use their own motor vehicles in performance of their duties must carry insurance for a minimum liability of $50,000/$100,000 and $5,000 in property damage or, in lieu thereof, a minimum of $100,000 for liability for bodily injury and property damage.

Proof of insurance must be on file in the Business Office before mileage reimbursement can be authorized. A copy of the face sheet of your automobile insurance policy should by included with your travel package if you will be traveling by automobile.

4. Professional Development Authorization Letter

Some bargaining units provide additional funds for professional development activities. Employees wishing to access these funds should contact Human Resources to determine their eligibility and obtain an authorization letter. This letter must be included in your travel package.

5. Miscellaneous Back-Up Documentation

Additional documentation might include:

  • Conference documentation detailing beginning and end dates
  • Notes of explanation on any extraordinary circumstances
  • Air flight itinerary (from Sanditz Travel)
  • Calculation of meal reimbursement request
  • Any other pertinent information relating to the travel.

6. Revised Travel Authorization Request

A revised CO-112 must be completed and approved if any of the following conditions exist:

  • The mode of travel changes (e.g., personal auto instead of air travel)
  • The dates(s) and/or time of travel change
  • Cost components are revised to include expenses not reflected on the original authorization
  • The total cost of travel exceeds the amount authorized by 10% or more.