Skip to main content

Veteran Benefits

Veteran Benefits

Veterans who believe they are eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) benefits should bring a copy of their discharge papers (DD-214), marriage certificate, and birth certificate(s) of dependents, if applicable, to the Veteran Affairs Office in the Student Success Center. This office will expedite the processing of forms and the receipt of benefits from the VA. Students receiving benefits as sons or daughters of Veterans should provide the Veterans Coordinator with appropriate forms and information.

Once attending the college, any student receiving Veteran’s benefits must report any change in the number of courses and/or changes in the dependent status or address to the Veterans Coordinator.

Recipients of Veterans benefits are required to follow college procedures in registering for courses and in paying fees. Benefits are awarded according to the provisions of the law under which the benefits are received. Wartime Veterans who meet the criteria set by the state of Connecticut are eligible for 100% tuition waiver. Veterans may collect benefits for extension fund credit courses; however, a tuition waiver cannot be granted.

For granting a tuition waiver, a Veteran is anyone who served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces and has been released from active duty under honorable conditions. Veterans must be CT residents for at least one year prior to enrolling at the college.

Determining if you are a Veteran when completing the FAFSA (Question 49)

To be an eligible Veteran for financial aid, students must:

  • Have engaged in duty in the US Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard) or are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and
  • Were released under a condition other than dishonorable. On the FAFSA, if you are not a Veteran now but will be one by June 30 of the current year, you may respond that you are a Veteran.

You are not a Veteran if you:

  • Have never engaged in active duty in the US Armed Forces
  • Are currently an ROTC student or a cadet or midshipman at a service academy
  • Are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee activated only for state or training purposes, or
  • Were engaged in active duty in the US Armed Forces but were released under dishonorable conditions

Veteran Tuition Waiver / Veteran Administration Educational Benefits

Veterans and active members of the Connecticut Army or Air National Guard may be eligible for the State of Connecticut Tuition Waiver and/or Veterans Administration Educational Benefits. The Veteran Affairs Office serves as the point of contact for new and returning Veteran students. New Veterans should visit the office to determine eligibility. Veterans should bring a copy of their discharge form (DD-214) to verify dates of service.  If you need any additional information, please contact the Veteran Affairs Office at (203) 285-2146.

National Guard   

Under CGS Section 10a-77, the Board of Trustees of Community-Technical Colleges shall waive the payment of tuition only at any of the community-technical colleges for any active member of the Connecticut Army or Air National Guard who:

  • Is a resident of Connecticut
  • Has been certified by the Adjutant General or his designee as a member in good standing of the Guard, and

Is enrolled or accepted for admission to such institution on a full-time or part-time basis in an undergraduate degree or certificate granting program. If any person who receives a tuition waiver in accordance with the provisions of this subsection also receives educational reimbursement from an employer, such waiver shall be reduced by the amount of such educational reimbursement.