CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) exams provide students the opportunity to receive college credit for knowledge acquired through independent or prior study, on-the-job training, professional development, or internships. Credit is awarded by earning qualifying scores on any of the 34 computerized CLEP exams
GCC recognizes and awards CLEP credit for students who are matriculated and are using the credits towards degree requirements. Students are advised to meet with their academic advisors prior to scheduling an exam to make sure the CLEP credits will fit into the requirements and/or electives of their selected major. Credits will appear on GCC transcripts but are not used for calculating Grade Point Average or eligibility for Academic Honors designation at graduation.
GCC CREDIT FOR CLEP EXAMS
PLEASE NOTE: Qualifying tests and acceptable scores are determined by each individual college. If you are a student from another college, check with your school to determine what their policy is regarding awarding CLEP credits.
Please be advised that not all schools accept CLEP credit for foreign language. Be sure to check with your transferring institution regarding their CLEP policy.
TESTING CENTER LIMITATIONS
Due to time constraints, we are unable to accommodate any testing exceeding time-and-a-half.
All CLEP testing is administered in a group setting.
If extended testing sessions or individual testing is required, please contact the College Board website for testing centers that provide that service.
HOW TO SCHEDULE A CLEP EXAM
Registering for a CLEP exam is a 2 step process that requires 2 separate payments. The cost for a CLEP exam $89 paid to College Board and a non-refundable administration fee of $15 (for current community college students) or $35 (outside students).
Test takers must create a personal account through the My Account registration portal. This account can be used to select the exam(s) you intend to take and pay the $89 CLEP exam fee. CLEP recommends that test takers utilize Google Chrome or Firefox browser. Listing of exams offered by CLEP (click here)
Once you have registered, please e-mail your CLEP exam registration ticket to GCC’s Center for Educational Services, CES, firstname.lastname@example.org In the e-mail please indicate date and time that you would like to sit for the exam. Please include your phone number in the e-mail.
It is IMPERATIVE that you complete the above process with the CES 48 hours in advance of your chosen date.
Seating is limited, and appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis. An e-mail will be sent to you confirming the date and time of your appointment.
The CLEP exam for Spring 2023 is offered on the following Fridays
February 24, 2023
March 3, 2023
March 31, 2023
April 14, 2023
April 28, 2023
May 12, 2023
Official CLEP Practice Resources are available at:
- Modern States Website
- Credits earned by passing CLEP exams!
- How does it work?
- Learn about Freshman Year for Free program!
ON THE EXAM DAY
Be prepared to bring the following to the test center S205:
- A valid registration ticket from My Account registration portal.
- Administrative fee receipt from the payments office, room N216. Administrative fee is $15 for current Connecticut community college students and $35 for anyone else per scheduled exam. Any form of payment is accepted. You cannot sit for the exam without paying the administrative fee. (CLEP Administrative fee form)
- Identification: Your driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on your ID must match the name on your registration ticket. Please visit the CLEP web site for complete identification requirements
- The CLEP exam is given in the CES located in room S205.
- Directions to campus, parking information and campus map (click here).
- Candidates will receive a printed copy of the "Candidate Score Report" at the conclusions of the exam.
- Additional CLEP Transcript Request Form from the CLEP web site can be used to request additional transcripts
- Please be on time.