Math & English/Reading Study Methods
All students take the same math test. If your first language is not English, you are strongly advised to take the English as a Second Language (ESL) test instead of the test for native English speakers. The placement test is used for course placement in math, English, and ESL courses.
Studying for the exam has proven to improve scores, and therefore lessen the amount of developmental classes you need to take to earn your degree. Here are some tips:
- Review skills and study for the exam.
Studying for the exam has proven to improve scores, and therefore lessen the amount of developmental classes you need to take to earn your degree. Take advantage of the study methods below before you take your exam.
- Relax and take your time!
The computerized portion of the test is not timed. Your score will help you and your advisor determine which courses are most appropriate for your skill level. Once you identify your academic strengths and needs, you can get the help you need to improve underdeveloped skills before they interfere with your learning.
- Arrive early so you can find the testing area, bathrooms, etc.
- You will be able to concentrate better on the test if you get plenty of rest and eat properly prior to the test.
- No food or drink will be allowing in the testing area.
- Pay careful attention to directions and read carefully. Be sure to understand exactly what each question requires.
Study Method 1—Accuplacer Practice Questions
Free sample questions and answers are available on the ACCUPLACER website by clicking here.
Please select Next Generation Accuplacer for the English and Math practice test.
For English as a Second Language on the ACCUPLACER ESL (LOEP), click here.
Study Method 2—Online Study Options
- Khan Academy Arithmetic & Pre-Algebra Click here for topics covered in our current Math 075 course. Mastery of this material may place you into Math 095 or our Math 137/098 embedded course.
- Khan Academy Algebra Click here for topics covered in our current Math 095, Math 137, Math 172, and Math 175 courses. Mastery of this material may place you in a college-level math course:
- Khan Academy Trigonometry & Pre-Calculus Click here for topics covered currently in our Math 185 and Math 186 courses. Mastery of this material may place you in a Calculus course.
- OWL Purdue Grammar Exercises Click here to practice common grammar items that are on the Accuplacer exam.
- Capital Community College Accuplacer practice site Click here to practice interactive grammar and vocabulary quizzes.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Study Method 3—Take Free Summer Prep Courses at GCC
Gateway is offering free prep courses in the subject areas of math and English. These "Boot Camps" are for students wishing to refresh their basic skills and improve their ACCUPLACER scores. Attending a Boot Camp will provide students with the opportunity to become familiar with the Gateway campus, review their basic math and English skills, and build confidence. After successfully completing the Boot Camp, students may retake the ACCUPLACER test and possibly place into a higher level course, thereby saving TIME and MONEY. Boot Camps are for students who are motivated, hard-working, and able to commit to attending all sessions of the program. They are only available to students who have taken their placement test already. Learn more.