New, Transfer, and Readmitted Student Advising & Registration
The Student Success Center at Gateway Community College provides advisement to new, prospective, and continuing Gateway students. Academic Advisors collaborate with Faculty Advisors and Program Coordinators to ensure students understand their academic path and can successfully enroll and complete their courses. Whether new to the college or approaching graduation, the Student Success Center engages students at every level. Detailed below are the next steps for engaging with our office depending on your current enrollment status.
Continuing students are encouraged to connect with their Guided Pathways Advisor to prepare for registration, and their Faculty Advisor or Program Coordinator to learn more about their degree path. Current students should refer to their student email to schedule an appointment with their Guided Pathways Advisor or contact our office for next steps. Students can locate their faculty advisors by going here.
Having Trouble Registering for a Course?
If you are a continuing student attempting to register for a course and receiving an pre-requisite test score or authorization error message, please fill out the Course Eligibility Confirmation Form and your Guided Pathways Advisor will reach out to you.
New Student Advising and Registration:
New student advising and registration appointments are designed to assist new students in understanding the academic world, and to register for their first semester of courses at the college. Students meet with an academic advisor for an individual appointment, either in-person or virtually. Students attending this appointment will:
- Receive advising to begin their college career
- Receive assistance registering for their first semester of courses
- Understand the nature of college instruction
- Learn how to navigate on-campus resources
- Learn the electronic self-service tools
To prepare for your new student advising appointment, please complete the following:
- Submit all Documents to the Admissions office, or upload to your admissions application:
- Immunization Records
- Proof of High School Graduation
- SAT/ACT Scores (if using for placement)
- High School Transcripts (if using for placement)
- Apply for Financial Aid (or establish an alternate payment method)
- Set up and log in to myCommNet account
- Set up email and add to your cell phone
- Set up emergency weather alerts in myCommnet
- Check financial aid status
- Provide the Student Success Center with documents showing your academic history to help determine placement into college level courses. This includes SAT scores, Advanced Placement scores, and your high school transcript or HSE scores. Students can bring these documents to their appointment, but we encourage uploading them here.
- Complete the FOCUS 2
- Create a new account here
- Use the following ACCESS CODE when prompted: LIONS
- Complete the Work Interest Assessment. This should take approximately 5 minutes to complete and provides valuable information as to how your interests relate to possible majors/program, careers, and expected salary.
To book a new student advising appointment, refer to the scheduling link provided in your acceptance email from the office of Admissions, or contact the Student Success Center via phone or email. Students must first complete the admissions process prior to meeting with an advisor.
To schedule an appointment or for questions or comments, please contact us at email@example.com
Transfer and Readmitted Student Advising and Registration:
Students transferring into GCC from another school should complete all of the above steps, including submitting official copies of their college transcripts to the office of admissions. For instructions on how to have your college transcripts reviewed by the office of Admission, click here
To ensure an academic advisor is able to advise you correctly at the time of your appointment, the Student Success Center strongly recommends transfer students upload their transcripts (unofficial or official) here as well (even if already submitted to the office of Admissions).
Students that have not been enrolled at GCC for a period of 4 semesters or longer and have been readmitted to the college are encouraged to connect with the Student Success Center to meet with an advisor about their desired academic plans and next steps for registration.
To book a transfer or readmitted student advising appointment, refer to the scheduling link provided in your acceptance email from the office of Admissions, or contact the Student Success Center via phone or email. Students must first complete the admissions process prior to meeting with an advisor.
PLEASE NOTE: Students who have not submitted all required documents to Admissions will be delayed in the registration process.
What do I do if I need accommodations for a disability?
If you are a student who has a documented disability and may require any accommodations while attending your initial appointment with an advisor session, please contact:
Students are encouraged to make requests at least 48 hours in advance of their appointment.