Food, Shelter & Clothing

The following organizations and agencies provide a cross section of services/ resources to meet basic needs. Websites detail services and any qualifying criteria.

Beth-El Center

(203) 876-0747
90 New Haven Avenue, Milford, CT

  • 90-Day Shelter Program.  Call between 9:30-2:30 Monday through Friday.
  • No freeze shelter at 9 PM when weather is below 32 degrees (8 cots only).

The Center for Students and Families (CSF)

Room N214, GCC

  • CSF invites students needing essential financial support services to take advantage of various resources and activities designed to address your needs. 
  • Please visit their website for more information regarding how CSF can assist your housing needs.

Christian Community Action

168 Davenport Avenue, New Haven, CT

  • Offers emergency housing for families (must have at least one child).
  • CCA has made a food pantry available to families with children, senior citizens and people with disabilities in the Hill section of New Haven.  A one-time bag will be offered to those who either do not live in the Hill section or an individual whom does not have children.
  • Hillside Family Shelter:  203-777-7172, 166-168 Davenport Avenue, New Haven, CT

Columbus House

(203) 787-2016
586 Ella Grasso Boulevard, New Haven, CT

  • Overflow shelter located on 232 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT.

Continuum of Care, Inc

(203) 562-2264 (Main Number)
(203) 401-2082 (Housing Number)
67 Trumbull Street, New Haven, CT

  • To become eligible for the housing program, student must have a referral from their clinician (mental health counselor).

Life Haven

447 Ferry Street, New Haven, CT

  • Shelter for women with children and pregnant women.

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)


  • SNAP helps people to buy and eat nutritious food.  People access SNAP benefits by Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT), a plastic swipe card that looks like a credit or debit card. If you are disabled and qualify for SNAP, you can designate another person to do food shopping with your SNAP card.
  • The rules for getting SNAP in Connecticut require that a person must be a resident of Connecticut whose income and countable assets (including motor vehicles, savings, checking, stocks, and bonds combined) are within set limits.  Please visit website for details on eligibility.

Youth Continuum

924 Grand Avenue, New Haven, CT

  • Offers housing, emergency shelter, bus token, educational and employment services for youth.
  • Student must be under age 23.