Counseling & Personal Assistance FAQ

What types of counseling services are available?

The Center provides academic, transfer, career and personal counseling to students.

I am struggling with personal issues that are impacting my performance in school. What services are available?

Counselors are available to meet with students for personal counseling by appointment or on a walk-in basis. Counselors can facilitate the referral process to outside agencies for health, mental health, substance abuse, housing, crisis and other support services.

Is the information I share with a counselor confidential?

The Gateway Community College Student Success Center provides personal, career, and academic counseling for students. Counseling is confidential. Information obtained during personal counseling sessions will not be disclosed to any outside persons or agencies without your written permission, except:

  • When required by law (e.g., where there is reasonable suspicion of abuse of children or elderly persons, where the student presents a serious danger of violence to another, or where the student is likely to harm him/herself unless protective measures are taken).
  • As part of the counseling process, your counselor may consult with or receive supervision from another member of the professional staff.

Is there a fee for counseling services?

All services are free and available for currently enrolled students.